Course Resources: Website Data Essentials
What Google Analytics can do for you
- Measure effectiveness, ROI of website, advertising - How many sales from the last ad campaign? How much revenue?
- Help you understand your customer - geographical location, demographics, time of day etc. How many users on mobile or tablet?
- Enable data-driven business decisions
GA Demo account
Setting up a Google Analytics account
You can choose to use your company email address (does not have to be a Gmail or Google apps email)
Account structure (Account, Property, View)
Each Analytics account can have multiple properties (or websites). Each property can have multiple views (or subsets of data e.g. AdWords traffic only)
Add Google Analytics code to your website
There are many different website platforms and hence many different ways to implement Google Analytics code to your site. Speak with your developer, and review this article: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en
If you have a WordPress website you may like to consider using this popular free plugin from Yoast
Navigating the Google Analytics interface
Export, email, schedule reports
Google automatically recognises some traffic sources (mediums) and groups the traffic into channels.
Session and Campaign Length
- Default session length = 30 minutes
- Default campaign length = 6 months
Most users will not edit these settings, however If your site automatically signs a user out after being inactive for a certain amount of time, set the session timeout to match that length of time.
Lengthen the session time if you have a lot of content and expect users to take a long time engaging with that content. Conversely, shorten the session time if the site has a small amount of content.
Set the campaign timeout handling to the same amount of time the campaign is going to run or expected to be relevant. Clicks to a social media micro-campaign might not be relevant for more than a few days after launch.
A reporting view is a level in a Google Analytics account where you can access reports and analysis tools. Analytics automatically creates one unfiltered view for every property in your account, but you can set up multiple views on a single property. Any data you send to a Google Analytics property automatically appears in all views associated with that property.
Apply filters to Views to see a subset of the data in your Analytics property. To filter traffic from your company network find your IP address (type ‘whats my ip’ into google.com) and follow this guide:
Adding users to Google Analytics
Many users in your organisation may find value in Google Analytics. Additionally you may wish to give access to your digital agency (web designers, SEO, AdWords, conversion optimisation consultant etc.)
Goal tracking & assigning values
There are four types of goals:
- Destination (eg.newsletter signup thank-you page)
- Event (eg. download PDF, watch video, click banner)
- Pages per visit (to measure user engagement)
- Duration (time on site)
Site Search Analytics
If your website has a search function you can track the searches made by your users in Google Analytics. Example insights from search:
- Is your content too hidden?
- Do you need to alter your main navigation?
- Is your website missing content?
- Are your common searches showing the results you’d think?
- Are there patterns in the type of visits that result in searches?
Set up Google Analytics for various popular web platforms
Event tracking is used for tracking events which don’t require a new page to be loaded on your website. Examples of cases where event tracking would be used:
- Tracking file downloads (eg. PDF file)
- Tracking video views (eg. embedded youtube videos)
- Tracking clicks on links that go outside your website (eg. banners)
Event tracking requires developer skills to implement
A note on Universal vs Classic Google Analytics
Google has recently updated Google Analytics to improve data collection and allow advanced features. If your website has been online for some time you may find that you are still using Classic. Any new account will be Universal. Accounts are being automatically upgraded by Google. At a future point, you may be required to upgrade the tracking code implemented on your website. Find out more here
Google URL Builder
The URL builder helps you add parameters to URLs you use in Custom Campaigns. When users click one of the custom links, the unique parameters are sent to your Google Analytics account, so you can identify the URLs that are most effective in attracting users to your content.
Page Analytics (Chrome) Plugin
EDM and Newsletter Tracking via Google Analytics
Track your EDM and newsletter campaigns via MailChip or Campaign Monitor
Setting up MailChimp GA tracking
Setting up Campaign Monitor GA tracking
Custom Reports let you create your own reports in your Google Analytics account.
Timeframe Comparison Reporting
Goal Flow reporting visualizes the path your traffic traveled through a funnel towards a Goal. This report can help you see if users are navigating your content and completing a targeted objective as you expect them to.
Segments let you isolate and analyse subsets of your Analytics data. You use the Segment builder to configure the individual filters that together constitute a Segment. You then apply Segments to your reports and dashboards so you can see that specific data.
Google Search Console (GSC)
Setting up a GSC account
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ (login with your Google Analytics credentials)
Verifying your web property for GSC
- Add a meta tag to your home page (proving that you have access to the source files). To use this method, you must be able to edit the HTML code of your site's pages.
- Upload an HTML file with the name you specify to your server. To use this method, you must be able to upload new files to your server.
- Verify via your domain name provider. To use this method, you must be able to sign in to your domain name provider (for example, GoDaddy.com or networksolutions.com) or hosting provider and add a new DNS record.
- Add the Google Analytics code you use to track your site. To use this option, you must be an administrator on the Google Analytics account, and the tracking code must use the new asynchronous snippet.
Assigning Country Targeting
Ask Google to crawl and index your URL
Completely remove an entire page
Submitting a sitemap
Glossary of Terms
Google Analytics Academy